March is Women’s History Month and March 8th is Women’s International Day though frankly, we celebrate women every single day. Through our mothers, daughters, teachers, best friends, leaders, medical heroes and the list goes on and on.
If 2020 taught us one thing, it’s that we are fucking resilient. Through COVID, white supremacy, ignorant leaders and social depression we’ve stood tall, we’ve defended and taken back our power and we continue to fight to make this world full of love, justice, compassion and con ovarios.
With Kamala Harris being the first woman elected vice president (we’re still screaming, we had to make a Kamala candle), one may wonder: why did this shift finally happen? Why did we wait so long to elect a woman Vice President? The truth is, we get shit done and here are the reasons why.
What Makes Great Women Leadership?
1. We know how to balance work/life. Whether single, a wife or a mother, we understand that everything simply needs to get done no matter what. We have the compassion to know that sometimes our lives are stretched to their fullest yet, we still find time to help friends out, put in the extra work and care for our loved ones.
Jacinda Arden is the perfect example. She eradicated community Covid spread in New Zealand, had a baby while in office, took on climate change, fought for the gender pay gap while also putting free period products in schools.
2. We are great at communicating. Let’s face it, we love to talk. But, there’s something to be said about just being clear and honest. We’re mad? We’ll tell you. We want something done? Oh, don’t worry, we’ll ask you to do it.
This feminine trait is a blessing when it comes to leadership because you won’t wonder what is expected, you’ll know. All the lady leaders featured in Forbes have one thing in common, they make sure their voices are heard.
3. We don’t let obstacles get in the way. An article in the New York Times stated that women are more stressed than men yet, they also stated that women are more likely to take charge of their stress and handle it. In a work or home situation, we are able to look at both sides and figure it out.
We don’t take no for an answer, we look at all our options, we strive to survive through the bullshit and the drama and we will help you get through yours as well. Ruth Baider Ginsburg didn’t allow her cancer, her husband’s death or any of the backlash bring her down. She faced gender based discrimination and continued to fight for women’s rights until her very last day.
26 Leadership Quotes By Women
With great leadership comes inspiration. We’re not saying women are better leaders (but, c’mon, women really are better leaders) and we can always learn from our authors, activists, icons and all the Self Made Mujeres out there. Check out our 25 quotes about female leadership and start building your own empire.
1. “You are never too small to make a difference.”
Greta Thunberg (Environmental Activist)
2. “Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you.”
3. “It’s okay to admit what you don’t know. It’s okay to ask for help. And it’s more than okay to listen to the people you lead – in fact, it’s essential.”
Mary Barra (CEO, General Motors)
4. “Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you.”
5. ”If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform one million realities.”
6. “I never saw myself going into politics, but now that I sit here in this room with you all, I just feel like we can only accomplish great things together.”
7. “We're here for a reason. I believe a bit of the reason is to throw little torches out to lead people through the dark."
8."If your actions create a legacy that inspires others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, then, you are an excellent leader."
9. "I just want women to always feel in control. Because we're capable, we're so capable."
10. "We need to reshape our own perception of how we view ourselves. We have to step up as women and take the lead."
11. "People think at the end of the day that a man is the only answer [to fulfillment]. Actually a job is better for me."
Diana, Princess of Wales
12. “I am nothing but a “small damned” part of a revolutionary movement. Always revolutionary, never dead, never useless.”
13. "No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contributions of half of its citizens.”
14. "I never dreamed about success. I worked for it.”
15. When my future was taken from me, I knew I had two options: To speak out, or remain silent. To be silent was no hope."
16. "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you."
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
17. “The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.”
18. "Leadership is not about men in suits. It is a way of life for those who know who they are and are willing to be their best to create the life they want to live.”
19. “I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."
Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor
20. “We are valedictorians and honor students. We are college graduates, bankers, police officers, entertainers, teachers, journalists, politicians, and we are the future of America."
21. "I'm going to be an advocate to ensure that we are protecting everyone and we're tearing down barriers and not building barriers."
Senator Catherine Cortez Masto
22. “I demanded more rights for women because I know what women had to put up with.” “I know that, like every woman of the people, I have more strength than I appear to have.”
Eva Perón, First Lady of Argentina
23. "As people of color, we have a potent power – and a responsibility – to change events around us, not just professionally, but spiritually and politically as well."
Michelle Herrera Mulligan, writer and editor
24. "Success is to be in peace and harmony with yourself, enjoying the moment."
Guadalupe "Pita" Betancourt
25. "Positive thoughts bring positive outcomes."
26. “As women we are born with something very special called life force. Once we tap into it, the possibilities are endless.”
Now that you’ve confirmed how powerful women really are, what will you do with your power? Don’t forget to shop our accessories for that extra superpower.